The Man from E.G.G.

A place to put my time-wasting doodles, based upon the exercises outlined in the "How To Draw Animated Cartoons" book by Preston Blair.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Still Workin' On It

WHEN YOU COPY, DRAW SLOWLY, CAREFULLY AND THINK


Yep, that's something I haven't been doing: drawing slowly, carefully and thoughtfully. My earlier lesson drawings were done at sub-snail speed, per this example...

I drew so slowly, that I'd get comments encouraging me to "work looser!" (You can see that my self-portrait was a lot less cute & cartoon-y, as well!)

Then, as my nightly drawing started to evaporate, I started hacking out drawings while I was eating breakfast.

Then, I just ended up doing those Father-Daughter doodles, which absolutely prohibits slow, deliberate drawing.


Bottom line: I'll have to slow myself down and work on my "lessons" when I can concentrate on them. I'll save the fast-n-furious stuff for Father-Daughter jam session.

6 Comments:

At Tue Sep 25, 09:18:00 PM 2007, Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

Sounds like a good plan. I love the Daddy-Daughter stuff. I just can't say that enough. I think it is neat.

 
At Thu Sep 27, 02:59:00 PM 2007, Blogger Marc Deckter said...

I agree with whimsicalnbrainpan, the Daddy-Daughter drawings are great!

And I too have a tough time drawing slowly and carefully... you're not alone!

 
At Thu Sep 27, 08:06:00 PM 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Just thought I'd stop by and comment so you don't pull an "uncle eddie" on us!"

Thank you for the very kind words, Craig. And not to worry, I'm not going to ditch my blog anytime soon, and it's a mighty damn shame that Eddie had decided to leave his blog. Let's just hope that he won't do something stupid, like deleting it, for instance.

Also, I'm planning on writting a post on the history of the Terrytoons, so look for it around next week.

Later, From a wannabe cartoonist/ artist

Bruce

 
At Mon Oct 01, 06:23:00 AM 2007, Blogger Craig D said...

whim: Oh, those Daddy-Daughter sessions will continue, you can be sure of that!

marc: Wow! Even real, honest-to-goodness cartoonists have these sort of issues? Thanks for letting me know.

bruce: Looks like Eddie's back. I look forward to your Terrytoons post!

 
At Wed Oct 10, 06:22:00 PM 2007, Blogger Andrew Glazebrook said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At Wed Oct 10, 06:23:00 PM 2007, Blogger Andrew Glazebrook said...

Cool work and a neat Blog !!! Really like these pics !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home