The Man from E.G.G.

A place to put my time-wasting doodles, based upon the exercises outlined in the "How To Draw Animated Cartoons" book by Preston Blair.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Wearin' of the Grin


As you can see, I'm obsessed with this one head. And as you can also see, I haven't "nailed" it yet. Owing to no drawing time last night, I worked on this one during breakfast time.

I blew it on the eyes. Wrong size, wrong tilt, they don't follow the contours, etc.

Also, I've noticed I have trouble drawing the right half of the head (the dog's left side). I remember Katie Rice saying that she tried scanning and flipping her drawings as a test to see if they looked right. I'm too chicken to try that. It'd be like putting a pressure gauge on a flat tire. I already know the air pressure is below the suggested manufacturer's recommendations!

I'll try to carve out some drawing time tonight and see if I can improve on this...

5 Comments:

At Tue Jun 13, 10:21:00 AM 2006, Blogger antikewl said...

You're making pretty good progress there! It's always nice to see how others are getting on... not sure anyone's being quite as slow as me though!

Keep at it!

BTW, are you using the newer Preston Blair book?

 
At Tue Jun 13, 10:30:00 AM 2006, Blogger Craig D said...

Trevor:

Yep. I'm using the "newer" version of the book. I might toggle between the two here & there, though.

Thanks for stopping by!

 
At Tue Jun 13, 01:15:00 PM 2006, Blogger antikewl said...

I'm using the first edition one because I can print out a smaller copy and take the one page around with me.

Oh, and the characters look easier to draw. ;)

 
At Tue Jun 13, 03:41:00 PM 2006, Blogger bardhol said...

You sir, have the patience of a saint. It's paying off though. Those ears really have some substance to them. So does the rest but the ears especially caught my attention.

PS Freddie Moore ate guys like me for breakfast. :.(

 
At Wed Jun 14, 08:37:00 AM 2006, Blogger Craig D said...

You've found a substance in my ears? Uh Oh! Time for the Q-Tips.

Speaking of tips... I posted my magic method for drawing dog ears this morning.

PS Moore would undobtedly take one bit and then spit me out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home