The Man from E.G.G.

A place to put my time-wasting doodles, based upon the exercises outlined in the "How To Draw Animated Cartoons" book by Preston Blair.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Yeah, But How?

I was exchanging e-mails with an actual animator-type fellow yesterday (Hiya, Gerard!) and he made the suggestion that it would help my drawing if I were to think of these things as three demensional objects, rather than a bunch of flat circles. Amazingly, I had read the same advice on (I think) Mark Meyerson's blog earlier that same day. (Hmm... Come to think of it, Gerard, Mark and even John K are all Canadians! Well, my folks were from Canada, so maybe there's hope yet!)
I agree with the concept but how does one do it? I thought drawing those guidelines around the various circumferences of the circle made it a sphere that could then be rotated in space. The attached features then rotate with the sphere, in perspective. Again, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated here!

As you can see, I didn't do any serious drawing last night. But as Jack Benny once famously said, "I'm thinking it over!"

3 Comments:

At Wed May 31, 08:58:00 AM 2006, Blogger Andy Seredy said...

Great stuff man. I hear that. The worst thing about advice is that someone can give you the most informative and "Ahaaaa!"'ed advice ever, but you wont actually get it until you've mulled it over in your brain for a while.
Your drawings are comming along great. I'm not to sure I about the square jaw, but I still think it looks great (the wolf I mean). Props,
andy

 
At Wed May 31, 09:47:00 AM 2006, Blogger Craig D said...

Thanks for the echo, Andy!

My doodles of the goofy-looking wolf heads were based on the idea of taking geometrical shapes and trying to morph them into the character. I might have carried it further, but time was kind of tight.

Keep drawin' & keep bloggin'!

 
At Wed May 31, 03:18:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Craig. I stumbled upon the mention of my name.
Then again, don't over-think it.
The answers all are there in Blair's book; just think of the shapes he breaks down being of mass instead of just line. He's says this simply in that demo with the face on egg shape.

I thought your wolf copy from previous days was more than getting there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home