The Man from E.G.G.

A place to put my time-wasting doodles, based upon the exercises outlined in the "How To Draw Animated Cartoons" book by Preston Blair.

Monday, June 05, 2006

Droopy... Droopier... Droopiest


Well, gang, I spent Friday, Saturday & Sunday grinding away at that Droopy head. As mentioned earlier, the construction of the head is very straight-forward. The challenge, as always, is to tame the proportion and to get a dimensional feel to it. I noticed that I got myself so wound up and "tight" that I ended up with some very grade-school looking results.

In an attempt to counteract this, my last two sketches were very loose and light on "finishing" details. That helped me, I think.

Well, that's my week-end wrap up. A few more of these sessions, I'll move on to page three for the facial squash & stretch exercises! Can your heart stand it?!?!?

4 Comments:

At Mon Jun 05, 08:50:00 AM 2006, Blogger Andy Seredy said...

I think one of the strongest points you have is eye construction. I love the eyes you did for the droopys on page 1. They look awesome. You jowels and chin look great too. Keep up the great work.
andy

 
At Mon Jun 05, 05:32:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep it loose! (That'll be two kidneys and a heart attack. Eh? What's that? You haven't a heart attack? Weel you will by the time you're through with these lessons! AAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!)

 
At Mon Jun 05, 05:40:00 PM 2006, Blogger bardhol said...

"Man! What is that guy's problem?" Craig, the ones where you started to loosen up look really great! I don't know if you do this already, but you should try to pay attention to the space around the objects. I think John mentioned it when he was talking about silhouettes. It helps to be able to check your work in two places, the shapes themselves and the "shapes" in the air around the shapes. I hope I'm explaining it okay.
BTW, your commentaries with the eggs and such are incredibly amusing.

 
At Mon Jun 05, 08:22:00 PM 2006, Blogger Craig D said...

andy: Thansk for the kind word re: the eyes. As I look at the various Droopies I notice theye eyes are different on each one; e,g, spacing, shape, size, etc. Somehow I identify with that stuporous, heavy-lidded look!

bardhol: Huh - I usually think of negative space and silhouettes when there are two or more objects involved, I'll keep this in mind on my next go-round and see if it helps. Hmm... arm is feeling kinda numb. Didn't realise I was sweating so much This can't be right. Oooh... I'd better sign off and dial 9-1-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home