The Man from E.G.G.

A place to put my time-wasting doodles, based upon the exercises outlined in the "How To Draw Animated Cartoons" book by Preston Blair.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Wolf! Wolf!

I spent Memorial Day trying to tame that snarling wolf head. I was only marginally more successful at this than the basset hound. The main culprit was the muzzle and getting a decent, toothy snarl.

Like the problem I had with drawing eyes, I noticed I kept over-inflating the muzzle. Yeah, it resulted in a nice, cartoony-looking character, but I need to get it down like in the book. I feel I made some progress toward that goal, unlike the previous non-Droopy debacle. I'll be revisiting these problem areas.

Cop-out time: I don't feel that I've really "mastered" anything yet. If this were a class with grades, the best I would hope for would be a "C-" for even my "best" efforts. I know I could work at my own pace and not try to move ahead until I've perfected each and every stage, but I do get anxious to move on.

In Buffalo, I learned to "rock" my car back-and-forth in order to get free of the ruts in a snowdrift. It was the only way to do it if I wanted to move forward. That's kind of how I'm approaching these lessons.

2 Comments:

At Tue May 30, 09:46:00 PM 2006, Blogger bardhol said...

Man do I appreciate your stick-to-it-iveness. It helps to know that someone is out there running the same race and facing the same hurdles that you are.
..That I am..
Whatever - The universal "you".
I think your wolf that says "still worrying the lower jaw..." looks the best, construction-wise. It looks more loosely drawn than the other ones too, which is good. I find that if I try to draw what the thing "looks" like, it's usually painfully obvious and the spontaneous quality of the line suffers. If I try to draw what it "feels" like, the results are somewhat better but at this point clearly undisciplined.
Re: that "aha!" moment, I know just what you mean! Still waiting...

Keep it up, cantchya!

 
At Wed May 31, 06:23:00 AM 2006, Blogger Craig D said...

Thanks for the buzz, bardhol. Yeah, "loosen up" is a good suggestion! I also got the message that I need to be thinking in terms of the dimensionality of what I'm trying to draw. Aw, hell, I'm obviously using the wrong type of pencil! Yeah, that's the ticket! Hope you're still hanging in there, as well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home