The Man from E.G.G.

A place to put my time-wasting doodles, based upon the exercises outlined in the "How To Draw Animated Cartoons" book by Preston Blair.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

UPDATED! Black & White Cartoons

I didn't do any cartooning last night. Instead, I stayed up 'way past my bedtime transferring a bunch of Black & White cartoons from VHS to DVD-R.

These were broadcast by the Japanese Cartoon Network and contain lots of silent and early sound era titles. The funny thing is, that lots of the "silent" cartoons were broadcast totally silent! No added music or SFX - just a static-filled dead track!

So, nerd that I am, I burned a CD-R of heavily-edited music tracks culled from some 78 RPM records and added them as a music bed whilst doing the transfers. Next thing I know, it's going on midnight and I have to get up at 5:15 am!

Guess I was "in the zone!"

THE NERD ZONE!

UPDATE!

Here are the contents of the two DVDs I mentioned above:

DISC #1:

1. In The Zoo (Oswald)*
2. The Mosue Exterminator (Krazy Kat)*
3. Policy & Pie (Captin & The Kids - Silent)*
4. Rag Dog (VanBeuren Sound - Official Films)*
5. Three Little Kittens (VanBeuren Sound - Official Films)*
6. Beaus and Arrows (Oswald) reissue title
7. Pests (Aesop's Fables) Stuart Prod. titles
8. Yokel Boy Makes Good (Oswald) reissue title
9. Little Parade (Aesop's Fables) Stuart Prod. titles
10. Bedelia (Screen Songs) NTA print
11. Aesop's Sound Fable cartoon (missing title)
12. Wonderland (Oswald) reissue titles
13. The Cold Rush (Felix the Cat)
14. Land Boom (Aesop's Fables) Stuart Prod. titles
15. Singing Saps (Aesop's Sound Fables)

*From PC Treasures DVDs


DISC #2:

1. Springtime (Aesop's Film Fables)
2. The Big Game (Aesop's Film Fables)
3. The Traveling Salesman (Aesop's Film Fables)
4. A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Aesop's Film Fables)
5. The Spendthrift (Aesop's Film Fables)
6. The Villain in Disguise (Aesop's Film Fables)
7. Jolly Rounders (Aesop's Film Fables)
8. Pigs in Clover (Jerry on the Job)
9. Cheating the Piper (Jerry on the Job)
10. Felix Gets His Fill
11. The Mad Locomotive (Jerry on the Job)
12. Windjammers (Aesop's Film Fables)
13. One Hard Pull (Aesop's Film Fables)
14. Cure or Kill (Aesop's Film Fables)

9 Comments:

At Thu Jan 04, 05:40:00 PM 2007, Blogger G.A.D. said...

Hey! That's pretty cool! You should post them on youtube or dailymotion or sumting. Im guessing most of them are like Felix the Cat, Mutt and Jeff, Krazy Kat and Koko the Clown, right?... oh, and what kind of music did you add and what the heck is a japanese cartoon network like?

 
At Thu Jan 04, 09:29:00 PM 2007, Blogger Craig D said...

Gabe:

There were a few Felixes, a few Jerry on the Jobs (silent-era Lantz!), a couple (sound) Oswalds (more Lantz), but mostly there were silent-era Paul Terry / Aesop Fables cartoons.

After all this, I still have a second tape to transfer! Maybe once I get them done I'll offer copies for trade (ore whatever) to interested parties.

 
At Thu Jan 04, 11:31:00 PM 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Hands Craig his well earned nerd crown*

Seriously though I'm glad you did it. I am always afraid the classic cartoons will be lost to history.

 
At Fri Jan 05, 10:13:00 PM 2007, Blogger Craig D said...

A quick update from His Royal Nerdness:

My daughter took a three hour nap today, so I finished transferring the second tape to DVD-R! Woo Hoo!

Oh, and I should have mentioned, there are a lot of Farmer Al Falfa cartoons in this collecction.

 
At Sat Jan 06, 03:02:00 AM 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Outstanding, man! I'll be happy to negotiate some kind a trade when these are available to the masses.

 
At Sun Jan 07, 06:24:00 AM 2007, Blogger Craig D said...

"View my complete profile
for my email link.

 
At Mon Jan 22, 02:45:00 PM 2007, Blogger Charlie said...

where do you get Lantz oswalds??

 
At Mon Jan 22, 02:56:00 PM 2007, Blogger Craig D said...

charlie:

I don't know if they've ever been made "officially" available! Tracking down Woody Woodpecker videos are nearly impossible!

For some reason they broadcast some of them on that Japanese Cartoon Network show. Though ONE of these came from a crappy "Dollar DVD!"

Thanks for droppin' by!

 
At Thu Jul 26, 08:51:00 AM 2007, Blogger Marc Deckter said...

You have a done a great deed!

I'm so glad that people like you, Tom Stathes, Ray Pointer and Steve Sanchfield are digitally archiving these early black&white cartoons.

We should send the Japanese Cartoon Network a thank you letter!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home