The Man from E.G.G.

A place to put my time-wasting doodles, based upon the exercises outlined in the "How To Draw Animated Cartoons" book by Preston Blair.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

M-I-C-K-E-Y

Here are a couple Mickey Mice I cribbed from a 1938 Model Sheet (thanks, to klangley!) I'm pretty pleased, on the whole, because Mickey has always been a tough nut for me to crack. Click on the image to see a larger version.

Observations: I "flipped" my versions against the model sheet and saw lots of things that need tweaking, though. For instance, his snout is too big on the top drawing. The bottom drawing makes the Mickster look as if he's wearing a disposable adult undergarment.

Maybe I'll do more mouse-drawings this weekend to see if I can refine some of these poses and proportions. Will 2007 be the year of the mouse, I wonder?

M-I-C: See ya next year!

K-E-Y: Why? Hmmm... I never stopped to think about that!

M-O-U-S-EEEEEEE!

6 Comments:

At Thu Dec 28, 03:57:00 PM 2006, Blogger G.A.D. said...

Yea, I remember when you telled me that you printed out this model sheet. I'm preety sure that its from 1939, not 1938.

Another thing, I'd really suggest that you check your proportions. Either take a piece of paper and put it on top of the model sheet and draw the circle of the head and then take the model sheet underneath and put it to the side, continue drawing from it and then put the model sheet underneath again and check proportions. or you could use the grid system after you've done the drawing. You'll improve a lot faster.

 
At Thu Dec 28, 11:10:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think these are your best ones yet. The Mickey on the bottom is great! Do adult diapers have buttons on the front?

 
At Fri Dec 29, 12:10:00 PM 2006, Blogger Craig D said...

Gabe: Thanks for the tips! You're the mouse master, after all!

W: It "depends!" Haw Haw Haw!

 
At Fri Dec 29, 11:29:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*groans*

I really should have seen that comming.

 
At Sat Dec 30, 03:00:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Real nice, these! Mickey, Donald and the gang can drop a grown man to his knees, so you've fared better than many.
also of note:
3 months to the day after young bardhol went on tour with the merry marital melodies revue, he's back, cookin' up a spot o' bubble an' squeak, or just brewing up a big ol pot o' trouble and shootin the breeze. Yep. Diner's open. Sommut's cookin. Come on down.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things.."

 
At Sat Dec 30, 09:17:00 AM 2006, Blogger Craig D said...

SUPER YAY!

I like diners, just ask anyone who knows me.

Note to anybody reading this" Check out Deadly Nightshade Diner for fun and laffs galore!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home