The Man from E.G.G.

A place to put my time-wasting doodles, based upon the exercises outlined in the "How To Draw Animated Cartoons" book by Preston Blair.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Oh, Man!

There's an entry over at JohnKricfalusi's blog that I find both inspirational and depressing. Here's a taste:

There is a reason for learning all these basic drawing tools I've been talking about. Once you understand your basic tools, you'll want to do something with them.

By themselves they have no meaning unless you apply them to some purpose.

If you just fill up sketchbooks with floating characters that look neat, that's not really functional. That's good for showing your friends, and it's good if you are studying how certain things look, but it won't help you do an actual job.

That's the next step - using your skills to perform a function.


I've been aware all along that these here sketches and exercises are but a means to an end. But what end? I have no illusions of "running off to join the circus" as far as being a professional cartoon-drawer. But what do I ever intend to do with all his? Hmmm...

I've said before that I am happy that I am able to make better funny drawings for my own (and my daughter's) amusement. Maybe that's pay off enough?

Also, in the ebb and flow of life I've been able to wrangle next to no time for my drawing pursuits. But isn't that true of so many things? When was the last time I've gone bowling, golfing or even been out to a movie? Sigh.

I'll keep drawing and I'll keep posting, as I am able, though...

5 Comments:

At Wed Jan 24, 04:13:00 PM 2007, Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

Maybe because you enjoy it? Who knows you could start a blog cartoon about your life.

 
At Wed Jan 24, 05:41:00 PM 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DAMN, EGG!!~!!

SCOTT

 
At Thu Jan 25, 12:44:00 AM 2007, Blogger Kevin Langley said...

I too have no illusion about going off and becoming a professional. I do want to apply all this practice to make my own cartoons just for my own enjoyment. I hope you'll do the same.

The expression on the bird is priceless. Haha.

 
At Fri Jan 26, 05:46:00 AM 2007, Blogger Craig D said...

whim / kevin: What is this "enjoyment" thing of which you speak? I keep hearing about it...

scott: Yes, "damn" indeed!

 
At Fri Jan 26, 02:42:00 PM 2007, Blogger G.A.D. said...

Hmmmmm...Well, Craig if I were you I'd use those skills to make a quick buck. You could probably illustrate for greeting cards or publish a weekly comic strip if that is'nt too much work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home