The Man from E.G.G.

A place to put my time-wasting doodles, based upon the exercises outlined in the "How To Draw Animated Cartoons" book by Preston Blair.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Strip It Down!

A trap I seem to fall into when trying to draw a character is that I get all worried about achieving a facial resemblance and then ignore everything else.

So what I'm doing here, is I'm forcing myself to work on the rough, underlying construction. I'm having a problem with the bottom of the pear-shaped body. Mickey's butt is coming out too big and I'm not attaching the legs correctly.

I'm going to work on this and see if it helps. I will fight the urge to make a pretty, "finished" drawing because, after all, it doesn't end up that way.

5 Comments:

At Wed Jan 17, 04:35:00 PM 2007, Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

It does too! However, I am glad that you are focusing on the fundamentals. You can never get too good at those.

 
At Fri Jan 19, 06:39:00 AM 2007, Blogger Craig D said...

Exactly!

Right now, I could probably get a gig painting Mickey on the windows of inner-city day care centers.

I hope to progress beyond that.

Maybe the next level is flea market custom license plate holder artist..?

 
At Sat Jan 20, 09:29:00 AM 2007, Blogger G.A.D. said...

Hmmmm, This is your best Mickey yet! But I wouldnt fuss so much and draw it over and over again for one little drawing, I found it to be a bit discouarging and more... ummmm, chore-ish to do that.

 
At Sat Jan 20, 09:59:00 AM 2007, Blogger Craig D said...

I hear ya, Gabe. What I think I'll do is get "comfortable" with the underlying construction (nearly there) and then go on to different poses.

Of course, there's always that day-care thing...

 
At Wed Feb 28, 03:20:00 PM 2007, Blogger Andy Latham said...

I know I'm just repeating what has been said before but it's great to practice the fundamental shapes. Mickey is great because you don't need many details to see who it is, but even with the basic shapes you know whether you have got it right or not because he's such a famous character.

By the way, I love the way you presented your attempts at the Preston Blair lessons. Very much like a comic book. Great stuff!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home