The Man from E.G.G.

A place to put my time-wasting doodles, based upon the exercises outlined in the "How To Draw Animated Cartoons" book by Preston Blair.

Monday, October 09, 2006

So I went back and re-read the Lesson #4 syllabus. One item I missed was that I should measure out my characters in "heads" to get the proportions right. Well, you can see from my results, below, I didn't exactly nail it on my first try. Undaunted, I continued experimenting & drawing "roughs" of this pose.



Then I tried making a concentrated effort to pull it all together. Unfortunately, I started drawing too close to the left-hand side of the page, so the one arm suffered. Then... well, I kinda lost it "Shining" style.



Another part of lesson 4 was to try drawing some of the "screwball" character types. So that's what I did...



I still have to work on getting a better feel for foot and leg placement. I'll keep trying...

4 Comments:

At Mon Oct 09, 05:16:00 PM 2006, Blogger G.A.D. said...

HA HA HA!!! That second page of drawings is hilarious. The same thing happend with me with the head thing, I did the drawings first and then I read John's post and redrew them counting them in heads. I dont count the heads of characters anymore though (unless its a tough character)because it takes a long time and I dont know if the big shot hollywood cartoonists do it all the time. Keep counting them in heads and you'll eventually get a fell of how tall they are.

 
At Wed Oct 11, 10:40:00 AM 2006, Blogger Craig D said...

I'm pretty sure that head-unit measurement wasn't meant to be used for each and every animation drawing, but rather to help with overall height proportions.

But seriously, I want to wring that goose's (ducks?) neck!!!

 
At Wed Oct 11, 07:41:00 PM 2006, Blogger Kevin Langley said...

I love the contortions of the duck and the screwballs above it. Coming along quite nicely.

 
At Thu Oct 12, 02:54:00 PM 2006, Blogger Craig D said...

Hey, thanks, Kevin! A li'l encouragement is definitely needed here at "Egg Central!"

I got so nutz about that bird's L.O.A. that I drew a corkscrew and had at it.

I hope someday to actually be able to draw characters in decent-looking poses. I really like those bear drawings you've posted at your blog, BTW!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home