The Man from E.G.G.

A place to put my time-wasting doodles, based upon the exercises outlined in the "How To Draw Animated Cartoons" book by Preston Blair.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Duck... Duck... Goose?



Yep, I've been floggin' & bloggin' this here now Preston Blair book since May and I've already worked my way up to page seven! (That's only because I've skipped page six, but I intend to backtrack.)

Here are my first two attempts at drawing that duck... or is it a goose? Well anyway, take a gander at it! We'd best get quacking, eh? Whoops, 'scuze me...

OK, I'm back. I had to go slap myself. Hard.

I thought I did pretty good on the first try. I mean, it's nice and cartoon-y and I did better with the clothes than I thought I would. Then I flipped it against the drawing in the book and saw I was 'way off. On my second attempt I got closer to the example's proportions, but there's still work to be done.

Here are some quick sketches from this morning's breakfast table. No big whoop, but there you go. I'm trying to be methodical and at the same time intuitive. Much in the same way that Certs is a breath mint while also being a candy mint.

Uh, oh... gotta go slap myself some more. Harder.

5 Comments:

At Mon Sep 25, 01:44:00 PM 2006, Blogger G.A.D. said...

Yeah, I remember the first time I tried to draw that duck... goose, I nearly pulled my hair off. After a while I got the hang of it and did it easily. Drawing this duck/goose (Duose?) gives you a good idea of flowing details which took me a while to figure out.

 
At Mon Sep 25, 10:51:00 PM 2006, Blogger Kevin Langley said...

This bird is a pain to draw, but these look good. I like the rough one you did today, the lines have a nice looseness to them. Good work!

 
At Tue Sep 26, 07:02:00 AM 2006, Blogger Craig D said...

Yeah, guys, this is a golden oldie, to be sure! I seem to hit the wall on something like this every other page or so.

Gabe: Thanks to my trichtillomania, my hair has been pre-pulled for years now.

Kevin: Indeed, I'm making an effort to work looser (some would say "sloppier" but these are the jealous ones!) My earlier work was done more with an engineering drawing slant, as if I was drawing a blueprint or electrical scematic. Of course lack of time and sleep deprivation are playing a role as well. Perhaps I should cultivate a drinking problem..?

Cap'n Craig

 
At Tue Sep 26, 08:29:00 PM 2006, Blogger bardhol said...

Yes, I think drinking immoderate amounts of liquor would help you with your flow, if you know what I mean. Also ,I don't believe that creature is either a duck or a goose. Certainly no animal I've ever seen wears a cock hat and lounge suit jacket with no pants. Must be one of the missing links.

 
At Wed Sep 27, 06:40:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I imagine a rooster would wear a cock hat because y'see... rooster... COCK hat... and... it's funny... because... y'know, they could mean the same thing... and if a rooster was to wear a hat... Oh, Come on! IT'S FUNNY!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home