The Man from E.G.G.

A place to put my time-wasting doodles, based upon the exercises outlined in the "How To Draw Animated Cartoons" book by Preston Blair.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Yep, It Was An Elephant!

That's right - it was an elephant! Kudos to this week's winners bardhol and Louisa! It shore was a funny-lookin' stick skeleton.

There was a discussion about "twinning" in the comments section of John K's site. I kind of remembered seeing a really good example of it on an circa 1940 Popeye model sheet, but I couldn't find the sheet. This is sort of how I remembered it looking. These sort of symmetrical, "dead" poses should be avoided. Unless, of course, you want a symmetrical, "dead" looking character.

Originally, I wasn't going to post this drawing. It's just that bad. I tried redrawing this pose in a larger scale with the idea that I could better define the details. OUCH! In my defense, I was trying to take care of my 32-month old daughter and do this at the same time. Not a good idea. I could maybe do data entry or address Christmas cards or any other "rote" chore, but cartooning is not one of them.

But, Craig, what's with that dead bird in your previous post? Well, in anticipation of an avian flu pandemic hitting Fayetteville, NC, my employer is running a drill for the next two weeks wherein we will be working 12-hour shifts while wearing rubber gloves and surgical face masks! Yes, that's my life, folks.

2 Comments:

At Mon Aug 07, 09:17:00 AM 2006, Blogger Andy Seredy said...

Hey man, the Olli-fant looks great. And the Poppeye is great too, but I like the elephant the most

egads! 12 hr shifts?? The only place I've ever heard of 12 hr shifts in either in Video games, or the Medical feild. Good luck with that :(

andy

 
At Mon Aug 07, 05:17:00 PM 2006, Blogger Craig D said...

Thanks, Andy. I thought the pachyderm turned out pretty decent. Especially considering the cat-pose meltdown.

You're very close about the 12 hr. shift thing. My company is a supplier to the pharamceutical industry. The idea is that we'll be needed in case of a full-blown epidemic. Hence the drill.

Lots of plants work rotating 12 hour shifts, as my brother can attest. At least this is only for two weeks and they're during the daylight hours!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home