The Man from E.G.G.

A place to put my time-wasting doodles, based upon the exercises outlined in the "How To Draw Animated Cartoons" book by Preston Blair.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Skeleton Foundation #1


Well, here's my first attempt at using a skeleton foundation (i.e. stick figure) to draw a character. A couple things occur to me:

1. I may have to work in a larger scale. 1-1/2" is OK for drawing a cartoon dog's head, but it pretty tough to cram a detailed character drawing to that space.

2. I have to be careful not to put too much meat on the pipe-cleaner construction.

Let's see what comes of it.

Note: I've added a link to fellow-blogger-student "louisa" and her "Exercises in Futility" blog. Welcome to the fold, Louisa!

3 Comments:

At Thu Jul 27, 02:10:00 PM 2006, Blogger Louisa The Last said...

Aww, thanks. I'll work on adding links to other students too, in between flogging the dead horse that is egg-shaped heads.

You definitely might want to try working larger. I, for one, find it a lot easier to be flowing and accurate with my lines when I work better...although I copy better when I work smaller. Odd, but I guess my brain still works a little differently when it comes to my work vs. me copying someone else's work. I normally sketch big, loose, and messy, but when I'm doing these exercises it's small, tight, and controlled. I still don't know if that's a good thing.

 
At Fri Jul 28, 08:10:00 PM 2006, Blogger Craig D said...

Hiya, Laura!

I've tried working about 2x the size of some of the smaller examples and it has helped. I'll post the results Monday morning.

When I was a kid, I thought cartoons were drawn the size they appeared in the comics section of the newspaper, so that's the scale I drew in all through my (mal)formative years. Of course, the comics have only shruken even more since then! You practically need a jeweler's loupe to read 'em these days...

 
At Sat Jul 29, 05:36:00 PM 2006, Blogger Louisa The Last said...

Depressing, isn't it? Especially if you go to a town where the comics are still printed large, and you realize what you're missing out on. Berke Breathed used to complain about it all the time in Bloom County, but it's only getting worse.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home