The Man from E.G.G.

A place to put my time-wasting doodles, based upon the exercises outlined in the "How To Draw Animated Cartoons" book by Preston Blair.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

L.O.A. Musings - Part Two



Here is the top half of page 32 from the Preston Blair book. This is 'way advanced for us right now, but let's take a look, anyway.

1. By using the L.O.A. to lay out the action, Preston was able to conceptualize an abstract motion, i.e. the pitcher spins like a pinwheel.

2. The L.O.A. is not "anchored" to any specific part of the character's anatomy. It runs up his right leg and shoots out his left arm in drawings 1 - 4 on the top row. Then, at drawing #5 the L.O.A. still runs through the right leg, but the top half completely misses the upper torso! In drawings 6 & 7, the L.O.A. now runs from leg-to-leg!

Conclusion: The L.O.A. can be any part of a character's anatomy or no part of a character's anatomy.

Here are some more musings in the drawing, below...



And finally, some cat head drawings, just for fun!

4 Comments:

At Tue Sep 19, 08:02:00 PM 2006, Blogger Kevin Langley said...

My problem when I lay down a line of action is I tend to start using that line in the drawing itself. It may end up as a stomach or the back, the drawings usually look pretty bad. When I sketch it in so lightly that I can barely see it they come out much better.

Nice squash and stretch on those faces!

 
At Tue Sep 19, 08:43:00 PM 2006, Blogger Craig D said...

That was exactly my problem, as well! I'd try to include the L.O.A. into some unreasonable part of the chracater's anatomy and it would throw everything out of whack! Mind you, I still need to work on drawing full-figured characters.

Thanks for the comment on the squashes - harvest time is near, don't ya know!

 
At Tue Sep 19, 11:48:00 PM 2006, Blogger bardhol said...

You have a doctoral degree in bullstuff, too? Man, those aren't easy to come by. Your parents must be proud! Valuable cogitations on the L.O.A. and that's a great FFFF! cat there as well. I'm getting a few exciting L.O.A. theory ideas of my own that I'll share whenever I get a minute away from work {whipCRACK} AAAaaaaaRRRrrgghhh!! Gotta run, see you la-{CRACK} Oh, Come ON!

 
At Wed Sep 20, 09:08:00 PM 2006, Blogger Craig D said...

Ah, yes. I had a co-worker once who liked to use the B.S. Ph.D. gag - "Bull Stuff, Piled higher & Deeper! Har, har!"

I've pretty much exhaused my L.O.A. theories, now. What I really have to do is get more comfortable with drawing and posing full cartoon figures. (You'll notice I mostly sketch heads!)

There was a thread at animation.com ask whether the John K blog has affected anybody. HERE'S my answer...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home