The Man from E.G.G.

A place to put my time-wasting doodles, based upon the exercises outlined in the "How To Draw Animated Cartoons" book by Preston Blair.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Focus! Focus!

As you can see, my attention is wandering. I'm still working on the very first circle-based example. I decided to try some of the cute-animal faces from the bottom of the page. Shudder! Rabbit ears - I never could draw 'em. I'll try to tackle them once I get some more "chops."Also, I drew a little cave-man head for no reason what so ever. Ok, maybe it's just a generic-looking guy who needs a shave. Go ahead! Throw me in cartoon jail! I'll have more to post Monday morning. Have a good weekend!

4 Comments:

At Thu May 18, 07:30:00 PM 2006, Blogger bardhol said...

Hey Craig,
Your post on Circles, Ovals & The Brain hit the nail right on the head-- you and I are having to undo years of lazy drawing and retrain our brains to do it right! You've clearly got the chops, I think it's just a matter of practice. A few of the other things that I've done, FWIW are to trace Preston's drawings over and over trying to get a feel for what "real" circles and ovals are like. Also, I drew some "guidelines" around a tennis ball and traced eyes over the horizontal -- helps me to visualize a cartoon face in 3 dimensions. It even stretches and squashes a little bit:)
Hope this helps!

 
At Thu May 18, 09:57:00 PM 2006, Blogger Kevin Langley said...

These look good. I like the rabbits. I hate drawing rabbit ears too. For some reason they're just too damn hard.

 
At Fri May 19, 01:37:00 PM 2006, Blogger Craig D said...

Hey, thanks for the comments & suggestions!

bardhol: What a kowinkydink! Just this morning I did some tracing and guide-line drawing with some (self) satisying results. I won't be able to scan & post until Monday AM. I should have a few pages by then. Who knows - I might move onto the second page!

kevin: Perhaps we could form a support group for folks that can't draw bunny ears! Sooner or later I'll have to face my demons and do it, though!

Craig D.

 
At Fri May 19, 02:21:00 PM 2006, Blogger bardhol said...

bunny ears are an unholy terror.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home