The Man from E.G.G.

A place to put my time-wasting doodles, based upon the exercises outlined in the "How To Draw Animated Cartoons" book by Preston Blair.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Flippin' the Bird

Remember that duck from yesterday's post? Well, here's a quick way to really see how crappy your work really is! Just flip your drawing and notice how asymmetrical and poorly laid out it is! Have a lookie-loo...


Ouch! See what I mean? The two eyes are completely off! They don't belong together. If you put your thumb over one of the eyes, the drawing looks passable. Take your thumb away and you'll see they are not matched up as far as size, tilt, etc.

I repeat, "Ouch!"

3 Comments:

At Tue Apr 17, 02:41:00 PM 2007, Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

I think you are being a little hard on yourself. It's not perfect but it's not that bad either.

 
At Wed Apr 18, 06:55:00 AM 2007, Blogger Craig D said...

Oh, I agree, whim. It's not really all that bad, especially compared to what I would've drawn a year ago. I'm just looking for things to improve upon.

I saw this "flip-your-artwork" tip on an actual cartoonist's blog, so I thought I'd try it.

 
At Wed Apr 18, 12:40:00 PM 2007, Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

It is a neat idea and sounds like a useful tool. I turn mine upsidedown when I need a fresh perspective.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home